Cooking and Food Forum Index  
FAQFAQ� �SearchSearch� �MemberlistMemberlist� �UsergroupsUsergroups� �RegisterRegisterProfileProfile� �Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages� �Log inLog in�   Archive

Quick, Easy and Healthy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking and Food Forum Index -> Healthy Living
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:13 pm    Post subject: Quick, Easy and Healthy Reply with quote

I was hoping to add some variety to my diet. I'm always on the go and don't always have a lot of time for preparation. Any ideas on things that are quick and easy to make, yet healthy?
cocodrilo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: Quick, Easy and Healthy Reply with quote

David wrote:
I was hoping to add some variety to my diet. I'm always on the go and don't always have a lot of time for preparation. Any ideas on things that are quick and easy to make, yet healthy?

I always see what is lurking in the back of my 'fridge and then decide, but here is something you can make with pretty much anything.

In a pan, fry a couple cloves of sliced garlic in a few tablespoons of olive oil, then add almost any of a combination of the following vegetables- onions, green peppers, mushrooms, eggplant, carrots...Then add a can of Italian tomatoes(or fresh, either work) and mash them in. For protein, you can use any meat- chicken, pork beef or even tofu(firm). For seasoning, coarsely ground black pepper(lots of it!) or finely-chopped red peppers(the hot kind). I do not use any salt at all. If you want you can add a bit of fresh basil or oregano. I let this simmer awhile, then when it's done, serve on a bed of rice or pasta. You can top it off with grated parmesan or pecorino for extra flavor.It is fabulous & makes great leftovers.
Jonathan
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds great cocodrilo and, if you want to make it just that much healthier David, you can use either whole wheat pasta or brown rice.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
cocodrilo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jonathan wrote:
Sounds great cocodrilo and, if you want to make it just that much healthier David, you can use either whole wheat pasta or brown rice.

Most certainly! I use brown rice(when I can get it, in land o' rice, ironically) and whole grain pasta is FAB(have only seen this once here and I bought their entire stock!)!!!! Very Happy
starrleicht

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's an ezine a get - a "healthy recipe of the week" from my friend's web site, and she's got them all archived online, if you'd want to peruse those - lots of ideas, anyway. Here's the link:

Healhy Recipe of the Week Archives
Jonathan
Site Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link! Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Cooking and Food Forum Index -> Healthy Living All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: